6.28.2013

Week 2 - Living the gospel 24/7 is truly the best

Woops! I'm behind, but we recieved this awesome update (and pictures!) from our Hermana on Monday.

Can you spot her? second row from the top, four in from the left. Her companion is in front of her.
(click on the picture to see it bigger!)

Don't forget about the Elders!


"Oh man oh man what an amazing week it has been!

Okay so that missionary broadcast last night was CRAZY!!!! So exciting and it got me soo excited to be serving a mission. I could not even imagine the amount of missionaries that are in Provo. Here we go between two small buildings and know everyone. It’s like a family!! It’s tiny in comparison but I wouldn’t trade it for the world! We have like 100 missionaries. I know we might not literally be in the presence of Elder Holland and everyone, but their presence here is Guatemala is even stronger. I love it!
There are 70,234 missionaries! That is crazy!!! I know I am just one small voice, but I know with all my heart that someone in Honduras is waiting for Hermana Bodine, and that makes me feel special even when I know there are 70234 other missionaries. And for that I have to prepare myself! But seriously the church is making missionary work huge! NOW Is the time! And we will not fail! I love that.
In another devotional we watched yesterday, President Holland was speaking and he said that we need to invest ourselves. He said missions are real life. It's as real as it can get! I love that! His turning point was the day he got his call and so is mine.  He said this is the generation that won’t fail.  I believe it!     
We got a new teacher this week, Hermano Chavez and he is the most spiritual person I have ever met in my life. I have learned more than ever before from him.  The spirit is always with him.  He was talking about his mission and he said he wishes he could still be a missionary and even though he has his badge from his mission, it isn't the same. His doesn't have the power and authority ours does!! So powerful!!
Yesterday during Sacrament meeting, it’s basically potluck for the talks, so everyone writes a 5 minute talk about the topic and then they just randomly call you up there.  So like 5 people go each week! Yep, I got called up yesterday, 1st! Elder Kitchen totally called it. It was funny!  I gave a 5 minute talk in Spanish about dispensations and Joseph Smith. While I was giving it, I was thinking to myself, “Am I really just giving a talk right now in Spanish?” It was awesome and I could feel the spirit when I bore my testimony.  It was sooo cool! Also, I got chosen to teach Sunday school haha! Great day for Jenn let me tell you! But Sunday school was about how the gospel blesses families so I just talked about you so that was easy!
We have practiced teaching about the Book of Mormon and other things, and it's amazing how even when you are practicing, you still feel the spirit. I love it.

The days are long, the nights are short, the weeks are short, and the banana bread is delicious!!! haha But I’m so tired by 10:30 and naturally I get up at 6:30. It´s weird. Other food we eat: veggies, fruit, juice, cookies, cakes, tortillas, beans, beans, beans, and everything. They spoil us but woof I hate plantains, and we eat them all the time!
Everything here is inspired by the spirit and motivated by love! So much love, thank you for teaching me how to love.  In one lesson the lady gave an example of the arc de triumph and roundabouts, and I just remembered standing up there on the arc de triumph and watching the cars go round and round.  Such good times. I am so grateful I have so many family memories to fall back on when I miss you and believe me, I miss you allll sooooo much!
Random fact: you actually go in the front doors of the Guatemala Temple unlike every other temple. We played pacman on lines outside. This week we get to go to the market for Pday. 
Other things to think about that I thought are cool: our teacher told us 'How long you keep the spirit depends on you’ and 'We pray before we eat to bless our body, so we need to pray before we read our scriptures for the spiritual food to bless our spirit' ah I love it!   
----To answer your questions now, the temple session is in English. Thank heavens! There are 8 sisters and 4 elders in my district including me and Hermana Mcallister. Our name is Isaias and I love my district so much! We have come to be soo close. There are 4 other sisters in our room, so 6 of us all together, however our Latino sisters in our room are leaving tomorrow, soo sad but they are going to Tegucigalpa so I will see them there.  It has rained everyday basically and it rains at such random times. It’s crazy but soo beautiful.
We have to eat everything cause it is rude not to, and they don´t like wasting things and think we need all the food. And yes we exercise everyday, cause we get deportes for an hour, so we can workout or play volleyball or do whatever we want. Honestly, it is so hard to explain what it is like down here, but I love it sooo much! I am so grateful to be in Guatemala and be a missionary! Love you and miss you soo much! 

It's crazy.  Living the gospel 24/7 is truly the best." 

Isn't she the best? Love that part about the banana bread. Don't forget to send her a letter at dearelder.com ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment